Search Engineer - Back End
Brave is on a mission to protect the human right to privacy online. We’ve built a free web browser that blocks creepy ads and trackers by default, a private search engine with a truly independent index, a browser-native crypto wallet, and a private ad network (opt-in!) that directly rewards you for your attention. And we’re just getting started. Already 50 million people have switched to Brave for a faster, more private web. Millions more switch every month.
The internet is a sea of ads, hackers, and echo chambers. Big Tech makes huge profits off our data, and tells us what’s true and what’s not. Brave is fighting back. Join us!
Brave Search is looking for talent to make search.brave.com better. Your work will impact the future of search to be used by millions of people. Brave search engine is fully autonomous and independent with its own ranking, crawling and indexes, aiming to offer a true alternative to Microsoft and Google.
As a backend engineer, you will be responsible for building and maintaining high performance backend systems to solve many fascinating problems - from autocomplete / spell correction to custom inverted indices for web search.
- Advanced knowledge of Python.
- Experience with technologies such as Kafka, Rocksdb, AWS.
- Experience running and debugging systems in production environments.
- Strong algorithmic background.
- Ability to work fast and under tight deadlines.
- Enjoys system design challenges, can build and maintain systems end-to-end.
- Written and verbal communication skills in English
- Remote work experience
- Proficiency in Rust / C++ or a willingness to learn.
- Experience with MRJob, Apache Spark, Luigi, Jenkins or similar systems.
- Familiarity with Distributed systems and information retrieval
- Practical machine learning experience.
- Linux internals.