Senior Financial Analyst
Founded in 2018 and based in NYC, The Block is the leading research, analysis, and news brand in the digital asset space. The Block's team is spread across 5 continents and 15+ countries, covering the global cryptocurrency space 24/7.
The Block delivers deep insight into how the emerging digital assets sector interacts with traditional finance, technology, governments, and markets. We reach hundreds of thousands of technologists, financial market participants, Fortune 500 professionals, global service providers, policymakers, and more through our main website, dedicated Research Portal, podcast, and events.
We are seeking a Senior Financial Analyst to join our Operations team and play a key role in driving decision-making across the business. This individual will join The Block as the second hire to the Finance team and will be responsible for providing critical support to our financial reporting and operations processes.
- Develop, implement, and manage a month-end-close process including financial statement review, journal preparations, and accrual
- Manage cash flow operations, including customer invoicing, accounts receivable, collections, accounts payable and related accounting operations while ensuring efficient and accurate processing
- Review expenses and other transactions to ensure compliance with company policies
- Assist in preparation of federal, state and local tax filings, including sales tax
- Create and enforce a documented system for accounting policies and procedures
- Prepare internal and external facing financial documents such as business reports, financial forecasts, and statements that inform upon the financial state of the business to the leadership team
- Maintain historical budget variance analysis
- Oversee the budget process and report variances against the budget on a monthly basis
- Provide financial analyses as needed for operations, capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Seek out and recommend company-wide and department-specific internal control improvements
- 4+ years of progressive experience in a financial function
- Advanced Excel experience
- Ability to operate at a highly strategic level, but also deep dive tactically
- Strong technical accounting knowledge, including GAAP
- Experience in entire month-end close process
- Experience with enterprise ERP and related tools for reporting and analysis, including NetSuite
- Experience with SaaS metrics and deferred revenue
- Understanding of crypto currency, digital assets and web3 technologies
- Certified Public Accountant not required, but preferred