Software Engineer - Networking
The Internet Computer is the fastest and only infinitely scalable general-purpose blockchain — incubated and launched by the DFINITY Foundation in May 2021. A team of over 200 world-renowned cryptographers, distributed systems engineers, and programming language experts have taken on the massive technological challenge of building, maintaining, and continuously improving a ‘world computer’ powerful enough to host Web3 dApps, DeFi, games, NFTs, social media, and metaverse projects.
DFINITY was founded in 2016 by entrepreneur and crypto theoretician, Dominic Williams, and attracted interest and financial contributions from early members of the Ethereum community. Later, top-tier institutions such as Andreessen Horowitz, Polychain Capital, and SV Angel backed the Internet Computer in a collective effort to help build out Web3.
Can you tune TCP, reason about latencies across continents, evaluate alternate protocols? Have you worked on large distributed systems? The DFINITY protocol involves deploying efficient, sybil-resistent Peer-to-Peer networks at global scale. We are seeking engineers with experience working on world-scale networking challenges to join our team.
- Help build a novel sybil-resistant world-scale P2P network.
- Reason about and solve problems related to all known network-level attack types.
- Evaluate novel alternate protocols and routing mechanisms.
We know and respect that great software engineers come from a great variety of backgrounds. Where you come from is of interest to us, but what we care most about is what you can do.
- Experience shipping significant software systems as part of a medium to large organization.
- A deep understanding of at least one systems software language like C, C++, or Rust. Our P2P network will initially be built in Rust (we will teach you)
- Experience deploying and operating systems that run 24x7x365 and building the monitoring, alarming, and tooling required to keep them healthy.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field. The unique challenges at DFINITY have attracted many engineers with advanced degrees, however your practical experience is more important to us than your educational background.
What kind of engineers are we looking for?
- First, we seek a passion for building quality production systems software and tools. Research is an important component of what we do, however our first passion is for changing the world by shipping software.
- Second, we are looking for team players who enjoy working alongside other brilliant people to come up with the best solutions together.
- Finally, curiosity and open mindedness are critical. No one has built one of these before! The problems are challenging, and we need innovators to help solve them.