Strategic Finance Manager
finance. You will be responsible for designing and implementing models and inform Descript’s overall growth strategy.
We're building our finance function, and we believe that FP&A is vital to help the company achieve its strategic objectives. You will have the opportunity to have a significant impact at a growing startup with incredible AI technology. You will shape and drive the FP&A function while Descript is making a massive impact, forever changing the way people generate content.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, aspires to bring structure to the unstructured, and enjoys problem-solving with others in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Reporting & Forecasting : You will set the foundation for how we deliver monthly performance analyses, build budgets and forecasts. This means, managing the annual budget process, and periodic forecasting activities, developing key assumptions and collaborating with sales and marketing leads. Our reporting package will include detailed financial statements, P&L, Balance sheet and cash forecasting, SaaS metrics and critical funnel metrics.
- Provide Insights: You will perform in-depth analysis of the company performance to help identify areas of growth opportunity. You will partner with Marketing, Sales, Product & Data teams to develop and maintain financial models that support business decisions, including revenue forecasting, resource allocation, and scenario analysis. Your goal will be to support the business by identifying and reporting on key trends and opportunities, and ensure cross-company strategic and operational alignment.
- Drive automation through BI tools : You will identify issues and opportunities to improve our BI processes and data stack (including data segmentation, billing, cost accounting) with a focus on automation and scale to our finance stack.
- Support Leadership Team : You will partner with the leadership team to help identify and execute actions that will drive profitable growth, improve efficiency and increase productivity.
- Ad hoc strategy projects
- You have prior experience in FP&A roles (4+ years)
- You have experience working at a high-growth SaaS start-up and a fundamental understanding of SaaS metrics and its business drivers. (PLG startup a plus)
- You’re deeply curious about SaaS businesses and how they grow
- You’re entrepreneurial and have a track record of being able to identify issues and develop creative solutions with limited guidance, and the ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing circumstances.
- You have hands-on model building experience and possess advanced excel skills and experience with SQL queries. You have a good understanding of how to navigate data-heavy financial settings. (Revenue planning experience is a must)
- You have working knowledge of financial and accounting principles (US GAAP)
- You’re detail-oriented and organized, focused on efficiency and accuracy and always looking to implement better solutions.
- You have experience with Stripe, and other SaaS financial software packages (a plus but not required)
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You’re comfortable to work in a fast-paced environment. You get things done.